I am a big believer in praying in tongues or more aptly praying in the Holy Spirit. I have been practicing praying this way for years now, albeit on and off, but now have reached a stage where it is the mainstay of my prayer life and even more so my spiritual walk with the Lord Jesus Christ. In my many years of praying in tongues the one thing I can assuredly look back on and say with the utmost conviction is that if you are praying in tongues on a regular and a consistent basis, and I mean really a regular and consistent basis i.e. hourly to daily basis, then there is no way you can go wrong or any misfortune occur or come upon you. There will be no such thing as a mistake or a misstep for the believer who is full of the Holy Spirit and is PRAYING IN THE HOLY SPIRIT on a regular and consistent basis. So if you find yourself in a mess, or if you feel that your life itself is a big puddle of mess and you cannot even begin to imagine the light at the end of the tunnel, then just jump right in and get a move on in praying in the Holy Spirit. With the Holy Spirit’s leading and guidance it’s only a matter of time before everything gets fixed (and permanently too) and blessings from the Lord Jesus Christ so overtake you that you will not have room enough to hold all of them. I can only point you in the right direction; it’s you who have to jump into the River described by the Prophet Ezekiel. It is both surprising and disheartening to me to encounter people who are born again and baptized in the Holy Spirit and know all about praying in tongues and the importance of the Word of God, but still live about messed up lives and all because of their own doing. Now don’t get me wrong, I am not being judgmental here, and in fact I can assure you all that even I have found myself in lots of gigantic messes from time to time, but it’s what we do when we find ourselves in trouble that really differentiates us and more importantly sets the tone and the direction about where our life is headed from where we stand. It goes without saying that in such circumstances we must turn to the Lord and turn on all the power available to us in the Lord and praying in tongues is one such awesome power made available to all born again, Holy Spirit baptized believers. My late Pastor, Rev. C. Earl Stubbs, used to say “When you are in trouble run towards the Lord and not away from Him” and this has stuck with me all these years, especially when I need breakthrough in any particular area of my life. It therefore surprises me that when people who are born again and baptized in the Holy Spirit find themselves in trouble, praying in tongues and turning to the Lord is something that does not even cross their mind. I hope that gets set right today and if you need any further convincing then read on as I share how praying in tongues has helped me immensely in my daily life and more so in my walk with the Lord Jesus Christ.
I will list briefly some of the many numerous blessings that I have benefitted from praying in tongues these many years and yet I am at a stage where even I can only say that I am still at the beginning and there is a lot more that I have to learn (and probably unlearn too) in my walk with the Lord, but I can assuredly say that praying in tongues is going to be a BIG PART of it!!!
Here are some of the blessings as a result of constantly praying in tongues –
- You are always full of unshakeable faith and your faith levels will always be high and in fact keep skyrocketing all the time so much that you will be personally amazed. Jude says in verses 20 & 21 “But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.” Building up yourself on your most holy faith. Without faith it is impossible to please God we learn from Hebrews 11:6. In fact Hebrews very clearly states it is only by faith that we receive anything we want from God. Praying in tongues is absolutely the best way to build and increase your levels of faith and soon you will find yourself zooming along in faith with unstoppable confidence.
- You can pray without knowing what to pray for and how to pray for it either. Life is tough if you are not walking in the Spirit or more aptly put not walking with Jesus. This can happen to the best of us born again believers from time to time. The best way to get back on track is to pray your way through by praying in tongues. The problem with us humans is we rely too much on our physical senses like sight, sound, etc. and even more so on our mental reasoning which is the saddest part since our human minds are so limited. Our mind can only give us input/information based on our past experiences and is limited to only this realm/plane of existence and that too based only on what we have experienced in the past or the experiences of those you seek advice from and that too is again limited to past experiences. There is a spirit world that is beyond the comprehension of our natural mind and when you are able to connect to this spirit world and draw what you need from it then there is no stopping you whatsoever. You can connect to this spirit world with the help of Holy Spirit who is all knowing and coming from a spiritual realm/plane where time has no meaning or existence and all solutions to all your problems are found. My youth pastor used to always say, we are the natural, God is the super, and our natural must connect with God’s super to get the supernatural into our lives. I have always found solutions to any kind of problem that my mind could not solve by praying in tongues. This is termed as revelation knowledge and once this revelation knowledge of God starts to work in your life, you will start to live your life in an altogether different dimension/plane. Andrew Wommack has some excellent teaching on this subject of revelation knowledge that you can read up here and even download an mp3 file of the same teaching.
- Praying in tongues will help you set things right especially if it’s something you are not aware of. It might be a harsh word spoken to someone, or some bitterness or unforgiveness towards someone, whatever might be holding you back, the Holy Spirit will reveal it to you and help you set it right so that there are no roadblocks in your walk with Jesus Christ. It is such hindrances that will stop the flow of blessings in your life and its better they are dealt with the quickest and the earliest and praying in tongues helps us to deal with them right away.
- Revelation Knowledge will always be available to guide and protect you and help you in making the right decisions always. Come to think of it, all we need is a Word from the Lord to change any situation, be it financial, health, marital discord, etc., whatever it may be a single Word from the Lord will calm every storm in your life and will give you much needed guidance on how to proceed and tackle the situation. The more you pray in tongues the more you will have this revelation knowledge working in your life and mind you this revelation knowledge is not limited to just spiritual matters. The Lord is concerned about every area of your life. Praying in tongues even helped me in fixing my broken down computer and it was while I was praying in tongues that I got the revelation that the SMPS was burnt out and a new one had to be replaced. This revelation knowledge saved me time and effort since based on it I went and just bought a new SMPS unit and fixed it myself and the system was up and running in no time at all. Without this revelation knowledge it would have meant more time spent on just diagnosing what the problem with my computer was and then some more time in fixing it. There are so many other instances in my life when this revelation knowledge from the Holy Spirit has come to my aid and helped me in making the right decision. You too will find heaven is available with guidance and hearing from God is no problem at all when you spend time praying in tongues on a regular and consistent basis.
- Protection from danger through a word or an intuition or a hunch will be the norm and not the exception. The more I pray in tongues, the more I have an inner knowing or a revelation if you will or what we might call a gut feeling and this is the way the Holy Spirit speaks to our spirits and this inner knowing gets clearer and louder the more you spend time in praying in tongues. I can remember countless times such guidance has protected me from harm and I can also recount countless times when I disregarded this inner voice (not anymore though) and ended up getting hurt with even physical wounds to show for it!
- Knowing God in a personal and intimate way. Jeremiah 31:33-34 says “But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.” Knowing God is the greatest privilege there is and I mean knowing God for yourself and not knowing about God or hearing about Him. We can know about God from church, the pastor, our neighbors, even by looking at nature itself. But we can know God for ourselves in a personal and intimate way only by His Spirit working from the inside of us and this is a promise that God made in Jeremiah that has since been fulfilled with the coming of the Holy Spirit. If you want to increase in the knowledge and understanding of God and want to know Him as a person intimately then praying in tongues is the way to go about it.
I have only listed a few pointers and that too from my own personal walk with the Lord Jesus Christ. As you continue in your walk with the Lord and spend time praying in tongues you too will come up with your own list. Please do share your own personal experiences so that others will benefit from them.